Unitarian Universalist Church of the Restoration
6900 Stenton Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19150
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Reports to: Minister (directly) Board (indirectly)
This is a 20 hour weekly, 12 month position. The weekly schedule is negotiable. Hourly pay range is $12.00 to $14.00 depending on experience. Pro-rated benefits after one year of employment.
Under the minister’s direction, this individual is the primary administrative support for the ministries of the congregation, supporting the minister and lay leaders. The administrative assistant is often the first point of contact for non-ministerial needs of members, guests, renters and the wider community. This person needs the ability to graciously handle unexpected situations and to resolve problems with a positive attitude.
- Edit, design, produce, print and fold the Sunday order of service complete with announcements and inserts.
- Prepare PowerPoint (or Keynote) slides for Sunday worship.
- Design and prepare special documents and materials such as announcements, certificates, invitations, notes, postcards and flyers as needed.
- Prepare and send weekly e newsletter and other occasional e mail announcements
- Compile and publish the congregation’s annual report and directory.
- Maintain church database and update information as needed. Maintain congregational activities calendar, keeping information current. Assist with the minister’s appointment calendar.
- Assist the minister with any requested support functions.
- Provide administrative support as needed for lay leaders.
- Distribute office mail, track and file congregation documents, prepare labels, send mailings, make service calls for office equipment as needed.
- Respond to numerous inquiries via phone and e mail from members, visitors and the wider community.
- Scheduling, communicating and coordinating building usage while maintaining the church calendar regarding special events (weddings, memorial services, receptions, concerts or other member or non-member events)
- Greet and escort visitors.
- Answer church phone calls and respond to voice mail messages.
- Record messages for staff or for lay leaders. Update voice mailbox messages as needed.
- Gather and distribute information from staff and congregants for weekly e newsletter, church calendar.
- Send press releases for events as requested.
- Highly motivated and self-directed
- Strong organizational skills
- The ability to be flexible and to work well as a team member
- Excellent interpersonal skills and clear communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion
- Ability to work well with detail, excellent editing and proofreading abilities
- A good eye for design
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher or other design programs. Familiarity with Keynote, Imovie appreciated. Experience with Adobe Photoshop appreciated.
- Comfort with social networking media, especially Facebook
- Willingness to learn new software or office tools as needed
- Kindness, flexibility and a sense of humor
- Creativity and willingness to have fun
The successful candidate will appreciate progressive, multicultural congregations. For more information about UUCR, please see our website www.uurestoration.us
To apply, submit cover letter, resume, and list of three references to Rev. Kathy Ellis at email@example.com. Review of resumes will begin as they are received and continue until the position is filled.
The Unitarian Universalist Church of the Restoration is an equal opportunity employer and will not allow discrimination based on age, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation or socioeconomic background.