First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia
Ushers & Greeters
Do you remember the first time you walked into our church on a Sunday morning? Was your experience pleasant? Did someone welcome you warmly, answer your questions, make you feel like you found the right place?
First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia strives to be an inviting and welcoming congregation. As a gathered community, each person is part of creating that spirit of welcome.
But Greeters and Ushers are the essential key to making sure a guest's first impressions of First UU are positive and warm - and YOU can be a part of that welcoming experience.
We also have roles for Coffee Hour Greeters, who stick around after service and approach and talk with newer congregants and visitors to help them feel welcomed. You may also elect to simply bring some food to share during Coffee Hour as well!
Join us this year in welcoming newcomers, visitors and members on Sunday mornings - share your love and enthusiasm for First UU in greeting and welcoming all to your spiritual home. We ask that each Usher or Greeter volunteer for one Sunday per month - or less frequently if that better suits your schedule.
SIGN UP HERE TO USHER FOR JULY AND AUGUST 2019
Role and Responsibilities:
Greeters and Ushers are:
- Friendly, making people feel welcome
- Comfortable talking to/greeting guests.
- Knowledgeable about Services, location of activities and building facilities (or are willing to learn more!)
- Hospitable and outgoing - or able to overcome shyness
- Greeters are is responsible for maintaining a welcoming presence from the half-hour before the Sunday service through the half-hour afterward. Ushers responsibilities include taking up the collection and securing Sunday's Offering
- Arrive around 30 minutes before the start of the Service.
- Wear your nametag
- Be aware or where the children will begin their Religious Education program that Sunday, and any special events.
- As people arrive, greet everyone warmly and offer them an Order of Service
When you meet a newcomer,
- offer a warm greeting [for some "greeting" tips, click here]
- direct them to the Welcoming Table for more information about 1st UU and Unitarian Universalism
- Invite them to fill out a Visor/Guest card and if they would like to get a nametag.
- Once the service starts, stay in the lobby to assist latecomers.
- If asked, assist the Ushers with the collection.
- After the service, please continue greeting newcomers, and introduce them to others.
- Arrive at least 30 minutes before the start of the Service.
- Wear your nametag.
- Before the Service, post Hymn and Reading numbers on boards in Sanctuary (numbers are located in Welcome Table drawer)
- Serve as a Greeter by distributing Orders of Service, assisting with seating (see above)
- Count the number of attendees (using the "counter" device) before the Sermon
- At the Offertory, take up the collection, passing baskets/plates trough the rows.
- Two Ushers then take the collection to Office; fill out attendance sheet; sort collection; place all items in the safe) as the Service comes to an end.
Welcoming at First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia is an important part of our ministry. We invite you to participate in this rewarding and hospitable service in these two important ways. Greeters and Ushers fall under the aegis of Membership Ministry Team